What is HypnoBirthing™?
HypnoBirthing™ – The Mongan Method is more than just a relaxation technique, it is a complete birth preparation programme. You will learn self hypnosis, relaxation and breathing exercises to help you give birth to your baby. It creates a special role for the birthing companion where they are a vital part of the overall birthing experience, and promotes earlier bonding with the baby for both you and your birthing companion.
“We believe that every woman has within her the power to call upon her natural instincts to bring about the best possible birthing for her baby and herself” – Marie F. Mongan
What are the benefits of HypnoBirthing™?
- You will learn that childbirth does not need to involve fear.
- Your chances of having a completely natural childbirth without the need for drug intervention is greatly improved.
- Your birthing partner will be more involved throughout the entire pregnancy.
- Bonding for both yourself and your birthing partner with the baby will begin early on in the pregnancy.
- HypnoBirthing™ encourages faster post-natal recovery.
- Reduces the fatigue in labour often associated with highly medicalised approaches.
- Returns childbirth to a more natural, peaceful experience as nature intended.
HypnoBirthing™ is a total antenatal programme to get you and your birthing companion ready for the birth of your baby. The course is over 5 sessions of two and half hours each in which you will learn the HypnoBirthing™ techniques.
What will I learn on the course?
- That childbirth does not necessarily need to follow the fear-tension cycle which can cause pain
- Special breathing techniques which work with your body and your baby. These can shorten the first stages of labour by several hours.
- A range of self-hypnosis and relaxation techniques that aid in a more comfortable birthing experience.
- How your body is designed to give birth naturally and how to work with your body to have a comfortable, calm, peaceful birthing experience.
- How it is possible for you to have a quick and easy birth.
- Methods of bonding with your baby for both yourself and your birthing partner both during pregnancy, and during those precious important moments just after giving birth.
- Visualisations to help you work with your body to enable it to do what nature intended it to do.
- Massage techniques to promote the production of endorphins in your body, which are the body’s natural painkillers.
- Fear release methods to overcome fears and anxieties about giving birth and helping you transition to the very special job of parenting.
- Skills to build confidence and calm, focusing on the future of giving birth to your baby.
What’s included in the course?
- Attendance for both you and your birthing companion.
- The official UK HypnoBirthing™ book.
- The Rainbow Relaxation and Birthing Affirmations CD.
- A full ante-natal/childbirth education course.
- All course materials and handouts.
- Birth plan.
- E-mail and phone support.
- Access to a huge pregnancy and birth network and information source.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is best time to start the class?
Any time between 25 and 30 weeks is ideal. However, provided you can finish the course before you give birth, it’s still going to help! Please contact me and we can arrange a schedule of classes to suit you.
To avoid disappointment, please book well in advance to ensure you get the dates you want.
Who is HypnoBirthing™ suitable for?
HypnoBirthing™ is suitable for first time mums AND mums who have had children before. HypnoBirthing™ helps women who are scared of birth because they’ve never done it before and have only been exposed to the types of birthing experience promoted by TV or films. It is also for mums who already have children and who are anxious because of a bad experience last time, or who just want a calmer, more natural birth experience. If you’re pregnant, and looking for an alternative to the over-medicalised, pain-is-inevitable, “bring on the drugs” minds, then HypnoBirthing™ is for you.
Is labour completely pain free with HypnoBirthing™?
No. There are many factors that can affect a birth, some of which are outside our control. Also, like any childbirth preparation class, the success of the techniques is related to the amount of practice you put in. However, as a guide, we find that around 65 – 70% of HypnoBirthing™ mums don’t need ANY form of pain relief. Nearly all the mums in this category simply don’t experience pain – just pressure. Around a further 20 – 25% only require some mild form of pain relief, like gas and air. The remaining 5 – 10% fall into what we call ‘special circumstances’, where medical intervention is required. However, the HypnoBirthing™ mums still tell us that HypnoBirthing™ really helped – even if they were induced, or ended up with a caesarean.
Remember – the aim of HypnoBirthing™ is not a completely pain-free and picture-perfect ‘natural’ birth, although that is possible. It is to have a calmer, more comfortable birth, where you are in control.
Does my partner / husband have to attend the classes?
Yes – birthing companions are a very important part of the success of HypnoBirthing™
However, if your partner or husband cannot attend all the classes and / or help you practice or attend the birth, your mother, sister or friend can also be your birthing companion.
Whoever you choose – and we strongly recommend it’s the father if at all possible, as it helps build a strong relationship with the child – they must attend all the classes and the birth.
The course costs £375 in total for private sessions for you and your birthing companions. Groups are kept small, so there will be no more than 3 couples. This allows Heather the opportunity to work closely with each couple and to ensure that you are fully prepared for your special time.
What parents are saying
“The hospital was amazed at how well my wife was relaxing. The midwives on duty could not believe how well she walked out of hospital only nine hours after giving birth. Thank you again for all your help, something we will never forget when we look at our son.” – First time dad – D.U.
“HypnoBirthing™ helped me in my decision to have a natural, vaginal birth after a Caesarean. I was amazing. This time I felt so empowered, being alert and awake and able to take an active part in the birth of our baby daughter.” – Second baby – S.P.
“HypnoBirthing™ made such a difference and I would recommend it to all women who are having babies. I don’t know why it’s not available to more women.” – Third baby – A.G.D.
What the professionals are saying
“This is the way all babies should come into the world!” – Midwife.
“I felt privileged to be part of this birth. I have never seen such a calm, gentle birth.” – Midwife.
“I’ve been delivering babies for over 20 years, including all of my own, and I’ve never seen anything like this. Don’t tell my wife, she’ll want another baby!” – Obstetrician.
Many more birth experiences can be read on the following websites: